Friday, July 26, 2013

a note on free speech / political speech

Just something to think about and factor in.

Certainly one has the right to speak. One may not have the right to every/specific means of speech (i.e., do we have a right to a full-page ad in the NY Times?). Doesn't one have the right to not have one's speech drown out by opponents?

Think about the most basic 'speech in the town square'. I certainly have a right to speak. I may (or may not) have a right to a turn at the microphone on the stage, but assuming this is a publicly financed event fundamental American sense of fairness suggests that I have that right. Similarly, I may not be protected against being shouted down by the crowd, but again some fundamental sense of fairness suggests that I ought to have at least some protections.

This protection of my access to speak and be heard my not be established in our founding/controlling documents, but it does seem it would be included within the 'American compact' - all equal, got each other's back.