Friday, October 21, 2011

source & use of funds

Some initial off-hand thoughts.

I think that initially income would be earmarked:
* 10% towards filing fee
* 80% towards voter outreach advertising
* 10% available for other costs (can't imagine there won't be any)
Once the filing fee is funded, 80%/20% should be fine. By that point, things are actually semi-successful and I can imagine having grown into additional activities that might actually require some expenditures.

I think it's unavoidable (and actually desirable) that most funds will be raised via online donations via the website. One will want to minimize any overhead costs (e.g., utilize Paypal if free) but alternatives have to be available to avoid leaving potential donors unable/unwilling to utilize any of the methods presented. (of course mail-in checks are welcome but realize that they will be slow/unwieldy to process.)

Obviously personal appearances must include solicitation. Presumably this won't be a major source.

Max donors (consider that one married donor could result in a $10G check) are probably worth spending time contacting (phone/in-person) individually. I'm unlikely to know many of these myself, so....

I will need independent volunteer fundraisers who either get donations without my involvement or introduce/refer potential major donors to me. This may not be as hard as it seems; there may not be a lot of people who can drop $10Gs on a political campaign, but there are a lot of people who know these people.

As for candidate involvement, I see myself as taking care of my own transportation/meal expenses providing my own phone/computer/online access. Lodging at no cost (i.e., generally "crash space" with supporters). I can see providing a start-up loan that's ultimately repaid to me.